The East Workshops were amongst the first buildings on the Prison site. The large space is popular for award dinners, product launches, intimate music events and private parties.
By 1858 a Blacksmith’s Workshop and a Carpenter’s Workshop, together with a well and a yard, had been established on the southeast corner of the site. The space covered by the workshops was extended over the years and eventually included a Carpenter’s Workshop, Tinsmith and Metal Workshop. In the final years a Motor Vehicle Repair Workshop was added where, with permission and for a fee, prison staff could get their vehicles serviced by inmates. The monies collected from this service went to the Prisoners Aid Society to help the families of prisoners in need.
Workshops were a necessary part of the convict built establishment in Fremantle. They were the first buildings on the site of the permanent prison.Carpenters, blacksmiths, sawyers, wheelwrights, painters, plasterers and printers were essential tradesmen as the new prison was constructed.
The East Workshops can be hired seven days per week, subject to availability, and can be used both day and night. The workshops has its own toilets located within the building.
To download a floor plan of the East Workshops please click here.